B.Arch Admissions 2019 - 2020 Ref: Advertisement Deccan Chronicle Dt:29.07.2019"Last date of submitting applications : 02.08.2019

CSI

About CSI

Medak Cathedral is the seat of the Bishop in Medak for the Church of South India (CSI)(comprising Wesleyan Methodist, Congregational, and Anglican missionary societies – SPG, WMMS, LMS, CMS, and the Church of England). The Cathedral is the largest of all churches in Telangana. The Cathedral also sees over the Diocese of Medak, which is the single largest diocese in Asia and the second largest diocese in the world. It was consecrated on 25 December 1924. Built by the British Wesleyan Methodists, the Cathedral is now under the jurisdiction of the Church of South India. .. More.

Medak Cathedral Architecture

he cathedral is 100 ft (30 m) wide and 200 ft (61 m) long, and conforms to the Gothic Revival style. It can accommodate about 5,000 people at a time. The mosaic tiles were imported from Britain and are of six different colours. Italian masons from Bombay were engaged for laying the decorative flooring. Massive pillars built with fine-hewn and well dressed grey stone support the gallery and the whole edifice. The roof of the church is made sound-proof by means of hollow sponge material, and has an impressive style of vaulting. The surface of the vaulting has the shape of squares. The bell-tower is 175 ft (53 m) high. (It is said that when the nizam of Hyderabad discovered that the church would be higher than the Charminar, he made a vain bid to have its height reduced.

Stained glass

The biggest attraction of the Cathedral are its stained glass windows depicting different scenes from Christ’s life – Ascension behind the altar, Nativity in the west transept, and Crucifixion in the east transept. The windows were designed by Sir. O. Salisbury of England. The stained glass windows were installed at different periods. The chancel window depicting the ascension was installed in 1927, two years after the cathedral was built. The stained glass was arranged by the native of the village Mr. Peram Alexander . The nativity window was installed in 1947 and the crucifixion window was installed in 1958